Saturday, August 11, 2012

Classroom Clip Chart


I’ve been working hard on a Classroom Behavior Management System and wanted to share!

I have seen these new versions of the Clip Chart System like the one above ALL over the web. I wasn’t really sure how I felt about it at first until I read an ebook found here. I suggest you read up as well if you are interested!

I ended up deciding this system would be perfect for me – it just needed a little modifying!

Here is why I personally love this system for my upcoming school year:
1.     Last year, the kids in my room had the traditional stoplight method. This is very similar to that, except that this is the new and improved, supped up version if you will! I think it will be an easier transition for my returning students, since this is not an entirely new concept for them!
2.     I love that this system encourages students to move above green. In the stoplight method, the kids all start out the day on the best level. Why even try harder to do better when you are already at the top? This new clip chart gives the kids something to shoot for!
3.     I also like that there is an orange level, for “Think About it,” between yellow and red. I like that extra step/chance to turn behaviors around before receiving the red and parent contact home.
4.     Students receive a tangible item when reaching “Outstanding,” (a congratulations ticket) and a tangible reflection when moving to red (a sheet explaining why the child was on red, complete with parent teacher signatures).

Here is what I will be doing different:
1.     I’m making the “Outstanding Level” Teal. For one, this matches my classroom, and two, the pink was a little too girly for me!
2.     I decided to remove the “Good Job Level.” The theory behind the system is that moving down the clip chart system needs to be very specific according to your classroom rules and whether they are being followed, but the students can move up really for any positive behavior you want to recognize. I felt as thought the 3 levels to move up may be too vague for the kids, and I didn’t want them to perseverate on why I felt their choice was “good” instead of “great.”
3.     Typically this system is for the entire day for students. I am changing it so that it is for individual periods in our schedule. At least for now! This means that at the start of each period, the kids return back to green. I want the kids to have a fresh start for each class to prevent incidents of: morning meltdown, moved to red, and now the day is ruined, why should I bother trying anymore.
4.     The kids will have a visual schedule on their desk everyday with a place to record their color for each period. This sheet will be signed and returned by parents each night.  Here is what it looks like:

And now – the best part: Here are your tools to create your own:

  1. Christina Bainbridge from Bunting, Books, and Bainbridge has a series of fantastic posts about her Classroom Clip Chart. Anyone adopting this method in their classroom needs to check her out. She is a wealth of information on the subject!  If you click on her classroom files you’ll find links to printable Clip Chart Phrases, and the Outstanding Note that is sent home when kids reach the highest level. (Mine will be printed on teal paper to match my own!)
  2. Jessica Heeren from Mrs. Heeren’s Happpenings has a fabulous post on this system as well! I loved her Clip Chart explanation sheet for parents she created and the “Why So Red” reflection sheet. I emailed her for editable versions of both to modify for my own classroom, and she so graciously responded with the attached copies for me! A huge thanks again to Jessica!

Check out my versions below! 




Now, I just need to make my recording sheet so that I have documentation of the kids behaviors and colors in my own files! 

What are your thoughts on this system?

5 comments:

  1. I used this behavior system last year in my Kindergarten classroom. It was a school wide policy for our K-6 school. I also decided to reset names during transition times and when I noticed that students were correcting their behavior. I kept track of the students and sent home notes to the parents at the end of the week as to how their student's week went. When they ended up on the bottom I would notify parents that same day. I like your idea for the student behavior sheet if they are on red! One thing I struggled with at the beginning of the year was to move names up, but that just took time getting used to the system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this chart! And your blog! Laura
    Read-Write-Create

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will recommend anyone looking for Business loan to Le_Meridian they helped me with Four Million USD loan to startup my Quilting business and it's was fast When obtaining a loan from them it was surprising at how easy they were to work with. They can finance up to the amount of $500,000.000.00 (Five Hundred Million Dollars) in any region of the world as long as there 1.9% ROI can be guaranteed on the projects.The process was fast and secure. It was definitely a positive experience.Avoid scammers on here and contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On. lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com. WhatsApp...+ 19893943740. if you looking for business loan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add Tags For Your Video(s)Add Tags to your Tik Tok Videos to
    get more followers and viewpoints Photo by Prateek Katyal on UnsplashWhy Tags are significant for Your Tik Tok Videos, here are
    some Reason Why You Need to use Tags in your Videos:Tags will flair your posts.People may readily find it.buy tiktok likes uk
    Some labels are
    trending, so in case you include them then that will mean greater reach of your movies.Easy for people to found your videos from
    Search.You can make your own tags and also make it a niche.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certifique-se de que o design do seu site funcione de maneira eficaz em desktops e também em dispositivos móveis. Com mais e mais pessoas comprando online para quase tudo, a experiência móvel do usuário será um grande contribuidor para sua classificação geral. Aqui estão cinco maneiras de tornar seu site responsivo mais amigável.
    https://my.desktopnexus.com/Juliana1123/#ProfileComments

    ReplyDelete